Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shopping and Chopping

How do you keep yourself accountable during the week?  Well, my husband and I  started shopping our local Farmer's Market each weekend and then prepping all of the veggies.  (Well that's the plan!)  Our PLAN is to go shopping on Saturday or Sunday.  We like to divide and conquer. One of us will take a couple of the kids and go to the regular grocery store and the other one of us will take the other child and go to Farmer's Market.  I prefer to take the one child!  Less distractions and I get done a lot faster! Plus, I don't have to deal with the constant bickering!  I actually prefer to go to the Farmer's Market and do the shopping.  I go in grab all the fruits and veggies that we need for the week and then I am out the door.  There really are  a lot less distractions at the market.  When I go the grocery store I have to deal with things like this:
Seriously?  I LOVE chocolate and peanut butter. 
They just had to go and put them in a Pop-tart!
So, most times, I leave the grocery store shopping to The Hunster with 2 out of 3 kids!  I'm just nice that way!  He doesn't have a weight issue so these kinds of things don't bother him.  Occasionally, he will get a craving for ice cream (I mean, who doesn't).  He will buy himself a pint of Ben and Jerry's and eat the whole thing.  He will not gain one damn pound!!!  If I eat 1/2 of it, I gain 5 pounds! 

So, I shop at places that don't make me drool as I am walking the aisles.  Don't get me wrong, I love fruits and veggies, but I don't just sit around and think about broccoli and apples all day, YET!!!

Since I have been on summer break, we have kinda gotten out of our weekend shopping and chopping habit.  It just gets left up to me to do during the week, since I have nothing better to do!!  Well, I didn't make it to the store until Tuesday night!  By then I was too tired to come home and start chopping.  So the veggies sat in the garage fridge until I made myself get up today and chop.  It does take a lot of time and effort (especially if you are doing it by yourself!)  But, it is so worth it in the end!  This is what my table looked like this morning:
Isn't it pretty?  :)

Our  list usually consists of a couple different types of lettuce, spinach, onion, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, green onions, green beans or asparagus, squash, zucchini, avacado and this week I am trying out eggplant.  Then I always buy grapes, red and green apples, bananas, a usually strawberries and kiwi. We opted to buy all the vegetables fresh instead of already chopped and bagged in order to save money.  We can usually buy 3-4 bundles of lettuce for under 3 dollars and it will last almost all week.  If we bought the bag lettuce for just under 3 bucks it would only last us a day or two.  I probably spend about $35 a week on fruits and veggies. 

At the regular grocery store, we buy our bread, meat, pb&j, oatmeal, snacks for the kids, and other basic cooking needs for the week.  If my husband goes we usually spend about $70ish and if I go we usually spend $90 a week.  Not sure what I do different! 

Typically we eat the same menu each week.  I do get bored with it at times, so I will throw a new item in the mix.  It makes things easier when we do it this way.  It makes it easier for the kids also.  I make things I know they like, so I am not constantly fighting them!  When I do make something different, I can test it out once and see if it meets the standards of the kids!  I am not a short order cook, so I will not cook several different meals!  You eat what's on the table or you don't eat! 

Anyway, that is what we typically do for the week.  This way there should be no excuses that there is nothing to eat.  There should be no reason to have to eat out.

How do you prepare for the week so you are not tempted by fast food?  Also, since this is my first time cooking with eggplant, do you have any great recipes or blogs that I can visit to find some?  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Love your table. I need to get in the habit of doing this. I tend to just pick up everything at the grocery store, and I'm sure I spend twice as much on fruits and veggies. As a result, I tend to not buy as many of them. We don't have a good farmer's market. I have to drive up to Forest Park to go to the state farmer's market. There's a little stand not too far from here that I just found, but I'm not sure what I'll do once these veggies are out of season. I really wish I were closer to Dekalb Farmer's Market or Harry's. I may just have to start making the drive once a week to get fresh produce.

    As far as prepping for the week, my husband and I were just talking about this. We both work full time, both are taking classes (he's getting his gifted endorsement, and I'm working on a Masters of Healthcare Administration), he runs a soccer program at our church, he run an after-school club that meets three times a week, our son plays soccer, and our daughter does ballet. We don't have much time during the week at all. Our plan is to plan out the next week on Friday evening, Saturday do the shopping and prepping, and Sunday go ahead an cook our meats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen those kind of pop tarts yet!!! Lol! I try to plan on Sunday for the week ahead. Planning really helps me to steer away from fast food,

    ReplyDelete